Despite Difficult Session, Significant Progress for Students in 2015
"In a difficult legislative session, education has been a bright spot thanks to Governor Cuomo's leadership," said StudentsFirstNY Executive Director Jenny Sedlis. "Today's deal allows for 50 new charters for New York City and gives Mayor de Blasio a year to restore parent confidence in his ability to run schools. The education tax credit would have provided parents quality options, and we're disappointed that an agreement couldn't be reached."
- The largest increase in education funding in the history of the state.
- Reformed teacher tenure.
- A streamlined process to dismiss persistently ineffective teachers.
- More funding for charter schools.
- Accountability for graduate schools of education.
- Protection for students from ineffective teachers.
- More reliable teacher evaluations.